To avoid putting workers in danger, fire extinguishers should be located throughout the workplace and readily accessible in the event of a fire. You can usually find them in hallways, meeting rooms, kitchens, mechanical /electrical rooms, and near exit doors.
- Providing portable fire extinguishers and mounting, locating, and identifying them so that they are readily accessible to employees without subjecting the employees to possible injury.
- Providing the correct type of fire extinguisher for the workplace. This is often times a multi-purpose fire extinguisher.
- Assuring that portable fire extinguishers are maintained, fully charged, operate properly, and are kept in designated places at all times, except during use.
- Knowing where the fire extinguisher’s are located at your place of work.
- Knowing how to properly use a fire extinguisher. Just remember PASS:
Pull the pin
Aim at the base of the fire
Squeeze the lever
Sweep sided to side.
For more information about fire extinguisher requirements in the workplace please visit: