SSOE Group is seeking a talented Mechanical Engineer for our award-winning Hillsboro office. An ideal candidate will be a self-starter with clear and concise communication skills. The Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for detailed phases of HVAC engineering work on major projects or total engineering work on projects of smaller or moderate scope.
Mechanical Engineer (High Tech)
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- The following duties are typical of the position, but are not all-encompassing. Responsibilities include those required to deliver quality service on schedule and within budget in a team environment.
- Evaluates, selects, and applies standard engineering methods and techniques on the work of small projects or on portions of larger projects.
- Execute mechanical design from conceptual design and criteria development through construction document production and provide engineering support during construction.
- Develop mechanical system layouts, equipment sizing, selection and associated specification and scope of work write-up.
- Perform plumbing and/or schematic fire protection design on selected projects.
- Design of air systems, fans, ducting, dampers, and hydronic systems.
- Developing construction contract documents.
- Receives instructions on specific assignment objectives, complex features, and assistance in deriving possible solutions to unusual problems.
- Exercises occasional judgment in making adaptations or modifications to design concepts.
- Reviews work with the supervisor to ensure the application of sound engineering practices and professional judgment.
- May supervise, coordinate, and direct the work effort of designers on the same project with some responsibility for checking his/her portion of the completed drawings.
- May write portions of specifications and assist in preparing cost estimates.
- Performs design work on AutoCAD and Revit modeling software.
- Use design software including Trane Trace Load 700, Handsdown Psychrometric analysis, PIPE-FLOW and TRIFLEX.
- Attend and participate in design reviews (internal/external) as necessary.
- Travel may be required.
- Valid driver’s license required. Requirement may be waived for international assignments.
Minimum Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree / DIRECT / 3-5
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering from ABET accredited school, which qualifies for licensure in the state of practice, is required.
- Passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam and PE tracked.
- Oral and written skills that are adequate to communicate with the project team (including client, in some cases).
- Must have ability to interface with customers to define scope of work and basis of design.
- Knowledge of mechanical systems control philosophy including P&ID development.
- In-Depth Knowledge of HVAC, Pumping, Chiller and Boiler systems, including design and operation.
- Experience with AutoCAD and Revit is preferred.
- Knowledge of pump hydraulics required.
- Knowledge of PIPE-FLO or similar hydraulic modeling software desired.
- Knowledge of piping support design a plus.
- Knowledge of pipe stress analysis highly desirable. This includes both manual calculations and computer simulations.
- Self-motivation to clarify scope of work, anticipate issues, propose options and find cost-effective or schedule driven solutions. Practical field-experience with active involvement in construction areas preferred. High tolerance for ambiguity and change.
- Problem-solving and flexibility in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to provide clear direction and expectations to designers and contractors.
- Practical field-experience with active involvement in construction areas preferred.
- High tolerance for ambiguity and change.
About SSOE Group
As a Top 10 Engineering / Architecture firm for the past 6 years (BD+C), SSOE focuses on delivering Great Client Service to clients through a full range of project delivery solutions. They have been named a "Great Workplace" (Great Place to Work®) and one of the "Best AEC Firms to Work For" (BD+C).
With more than 20 offices around the world, SSOE is known for making its clients successful by saving them time, trouble, and money. Over the company's 70-year history, it has earned a reputation for providing quality project solutions to semiconductor, automotive, food, chemical, glass, manufacturing, healthcare, power, and general building industries—with projects completed in 40 countries. Visit www.ssoe.com for additional information and career opportunities.
- SSOE was founded in 1948 and currently has more than 20 locations worldwide.
- We are a global project delivery firm for architecture, engineering, and construction management.
- SSOE offers program management services from design through construction, to commissioning and start-up, for seamless project delivery.
- 9 out of 10 clients surveyed would recommend us to a colleague.
- 95% of our fee has been returned to our clients in project savings over the last 5 years.
- 150 of our clients have been with us for over 20 years.
Equal Opportunity and Disability Accessibility Statement
SSOE is an equal opportunity employer and provides fair and equal treatment to all individuals, employees, and applicants for employment, regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, disability, genetic information, military / veteran status, or any other protected group status under federal, state, or local law. SSOE complies with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 and related laws. SSOE does not make employment decisions based upon any protected status under applicable federal, state, or local law.
Applicants with a disability, who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process, may email their request to email@example.com for assistance. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodations will be made on a case-by-case basis.
EEO/M/F/Veteran/Disability. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws.
Have a question regarding our services? Need assistance with an upcoming project? Send us an email. We look forward to hearing from you and will follow up soon.