A Historic Renovation
This building is located at the corner of Capitol Square and Capitol Place in downtown Atlanta. The original historic building was designed in 1931 by A. Ten Eyck Brown, an Architect who was active in Atlanta and the southeast at that time. Modifications and an addition to the building were designed in 1954 by Thomas Bradbury, the Architect for most of the other postwar marble clad government buildings around the state capitol. Bradbury relocated the street entrance to the Capitol Square side expressing it with a new three bay portico. In 2012, a southern portion of the original building was demolished to make way for the new parking deck.
Replacing The Exterior Stone
The existing building consists of five levels (one partially below grade and four elevated) totaling 31,600 square feet renovated for exclusive use by the state’s Office of Planning and Budget. The project’s exterior included the survey, removal, cleaning, storage, and reinstallation of all exterior stone after the replacement of the backup wall.
The existing backup wall consisted of clay tile and was completely demolished and replaced with a modern waterproofed CMU backup wall with exterior rigid insulation. New aluminum windows matching the historic profiles were installed and the existing original bronze main entry doors were cleaned and reinstalled.
The core of the building has two new gearless traction elevators and a new fire stair. This involved cutting a new shaft and elevator pit through all levels of the existing concrete floor structure. A new elevator penthouse was installed to house the override and the elevator machine controllers. Also in the core are new toilet rooms, electrical rooms, and IDF closets serving each floor.