- In 2009, 667 people were killed in motor vehicle crashes in highway work zones and more than 30,000 were injured.
- About 85 percent of those killed in work zones are drivers and their passengers.
- Distracted driving causes 25% of all traffic accidents.
The Laws In Many States
- 8 states have made it illegal to use handheld cell phones while driving and 2 of them in highway construction zones.
- Texting while driving is banned in 30 states.
- 35 states have double fine laws for speeding violations in work zones. 24 states do not require workers to be present for work zone laws to apply.
- 14 states currently allow speed cameras operating in at least one location and 5 of them in work zones.
How Do You Stay Safe In A Work Zone?
- Never use a cell phone or texting while driving.
- Stay Alert! Expect the unexpected.
- Slow down and don’t tailgate.
- Pay attention to signs.
- Obey the flaggers.
- Be patient and stay calm.
- Know the road rules for work zones.