The project is a historic rehabilitation of the Charleston Cigar Factory, a Victorian industrial building built circa 1882 as the Charleston Cotton Mills. In 1903, the plant was leased to the American Cigar Company which operated the factory until 1973.
The scope of the project was to rehabilitate the existing 230,000 SF building into a mixed-use development including 50,000 SF of retail restaurant and event spaces, and 180,000 SF of authentic loft office space.
Preservation and rehabilitation efforts focus on restoring the look of the building to its historic appearance while adapting the interior to contemporary usage. This includes the demolition of several large modern additions, removal of brick-infilled windows and inappropriate glazing, restoration of original windows surrounds, and new energy-conserving operable windows that replicate historic construction. At ground level, a retail promenade will invite public interaction with this revitalized Charleston icon.