Surprisingly, it doesn’t take much time away from work for us to begin to lose the good safety habits that we worked hard to cultivate. When we return from being away from work, our minds are often distracted by what we experienced while we were gone. These reflections can sometimes become a distraction and distractions can place you at risk for injury.
Some may not realize it, but safety is a routine. When returning from holiday, it is important to re-establish a good safety routine.
Performing these simple steps after time away from work can help you get back in the groove.
- Before starting work, take a moment to clear your head of any lingering off-job issues and focus on your standard safety routine.
- Take time to properly set up your work area and organize your tools or equipment so you can easily get back into the swing of things.
- Take a moment to think about the hazards that may be present around you.
- If you are feeling a bit out of sorts, take a moment to step away from your work and think through the steps of your job. Envision how you have successfully performed these actions in the past.
- Be aware of your state of mind. Don’t allow it to jeopardize your safety or those around you. Holidays can be joyous for some and hard on others. Many people let their emotional state or mood affect their choices.
“Safety Always is ALWAYS!! ” Get back into your routine.