What do March Madness / Spring Training / Safety have in common?
Stop and think about your favorite winning sports team. How do they do it? Do they have a superstar that will always carry the team? Sometimes, but not likely!
Consistently winning teams are made up of individual players who all maintain a high level of intensity and share a collective mindset that they will not be defeated, and that is how they succeed as a team. Every team member puts in the hard work and practice that gives them the
confidence and ability to make the winning plays when the game is on the line. So what does this all have to do with safety? Simple – we can’t win as long as our team members are getting hurt. Keeping ourselves and those around us safe requires hard work and practice, as well as a constant awareness of any potential risks and knowing how to eliminate or avoid them.
We can win ONLY by putting in the hard work and practice:
- Get trained – learn the rules.
- Teach safety – take it home and pass it on.
- Practice hazard recognition – know how to respond when conditions change.
- Develop safety awareness – anticipate problems and eliminate the risk.
- Lead by example – everybody is watching.
Study and learn the winning playbook:
- Wear the proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for the job.
- Select the right tools for the job.
- Always complete a Safe Plan of Action (SPA).
- Practice good housekeeping.
- Get help to move heavy or awkward objects.
- Eliminate pinch points and sharp edges.
- Report injuries and near misses.
- Never defeat guards or safety equipment.
- Don’t rush and don’t be fatigued.
- Always Lockout / Tagout (LOTO) to eliminate all energy sources.
Be a team player. We all win or we all lose.
A team is in it together.
TEAMS….Together Everyone Accomplishes More Safely