The Invisible Killer

Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is called the “Invisible Killer” because it’s a colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. More than 150 people in the United States die every year from accidental nonfire-related CO poisoning associated with consumer products, including generators. Other products include faulty, improperly-used or incorrectly-vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fireplaces. Source: Consumer Product Safety Commission

Know the Symptoms of CO Poisoning
Because CO is odorless, colorless, and otherwise undetectable to the human senses, people may not know that they are being exposed. The initial symptoms of low to moderate CO poisoning are similar to the flu (but without the fever), including: headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, and dizziness.

High level CO poisoning results in progressively more severe symptoms, including: mental confusion, vomiting, loss of muscular coordination, loss of consciousness, and
ultimately death.

Protective Measures
Install and maintain CO alarms inside your home to provide early warning of CO. Install CO alarms in a central location, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every level of your home. Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows and vents. Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris.