In order to deliberately do something day after day you need a reason. You eat because you need food to live. You sleep because your body needs the rest. You go to work to provide for yourself and your family.
Have you stopped to think about your reasons for working safely? Do you go along with safety regulations because OSHA and the company say so, or to win recognition for being accident free? Stop and think – you have far better reasons for working safely, and here are only a few examples:
- You want to continue working to support your family in the comfortable lifestyle to which they have become accustomed.
- Some accidents result in months of pain and even hospital stays. Some pains never go away.
- You hate the sight of blood – especially your own.
- A disability could end all your favorite recreational activities.
- A head injury could impact your ability to speak, read, or even enjoy your favorite TV show.
- You want to enjoy life with your family and friends without the changes that a significant injury would impose.
- You have plans for the future. Career! Family! Kids! Grandkids! Travel! Retirement!
A workplace accident can permanently change all those plans in an instant. With an accident you could be on your way to the hospital and might have months of painful therapy to recover. Think about how much is resting on your shoulders every day, and all the people who are counting on you to come home safely. Working safe is really a very small price to pay for being able to improve and maintain your lifestyle. There is no job or piece of production that is worth the risk of injury.