Warmer weather and longer days are beckoning us to get out and be active. Your inner child may be telling you to run, jump, and play — but is your body ready? If you haven’t exercised in a while you can increase your risk for injury during physical activity. It’s important to have a realistic idea of your body’s condition. Your body may not be able to function the way it did ten years ago, three years ago, or even last season if you haven’t been staying regularly active. Here are few suggestions to help prevent injury during physical activity.
- Know your body’s condition and limitations. Awareness of your physique and any health issues you may have will help you make better decisions about what types of activity you are ready for.
- Stretch daily. Consider weight training, too.
- Warm up before physical activity.
- Don’t go too hard too soon. Your capabilities will increase as your activity level increases.
- Wear the appropriate clothes and shoes (also pads, helmet, support braces, etc. if needed)
- Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate!