Everyday activities including work, play, school, shopping, travel, and just about
everything we do involves some sort of safety risk. So how do we protect ourselves
and others from these potential injuries?
By far the most important way to prevent injuries is to train ourselves to be vigilant
and be able to recognize conditions that could cause injury to ourselves and others.
It’s great to be able to recognize and avoid injuries, but that is not enough!
What do we do after that? Do we just walk on by? Do we tell someone or file an
Incident Report? Still not enough!
If possible, you should always try to “Do Something” to eliminate that risk.
- If you see a spill or trip hazard clean it up, mark it, or move it if you can.
- If you see someone struggling with an awkward or heavy load help them out.
- If you see someone working without the correct PPE or using the wrong tool, talk
to them about the safe way.
- If you see someone working safely, compliment and thank them to reinforce their
- If you see something that you can’t immediately address then you need to tell
someone who can eliminate the safety risk and /or file an Incident Report for
Safety Observation Cards
- Safety Observation Cards make it easy to record items that need to be corrected,
items that could be improved, or to recognize and reward safe behavior and
- Safety observations can also be submitted by using the SSOE App.
- Safety observations are a key action to measure how well workers are engaged
with safety. Safety observations are a leading indicator and predictor to future
- Safety observations help to create a safe and healthy environment for everybody!
If you haven’t downloaded the App yet, you can get it for free from the App Store on your Apple device or from Google Play on Android. Search for SSOE. Once you have the App installed, login using your employee ID and password. (Apple users, you will have to click on “Employee Portal” to login for the first time.)