Slips, Trips, and Falls can happen anywhere at work, home, or play. Often times these will happen when we are in a hurry, taking shortcuts, or simply not paying attention. All of these can be avoided if we just slowdown. Our lives can get so busy that we’re thinking of other things, therefore leaving us distracted.
Common locations for Slips, Trips, and Falls are doorways, ramps, hallways, corridor intersections, uneven surfaces, and stairways. When we simply look at it, Slips, Trips, and Falls occur due to a loss of traction between the foot / shoe and the walking surface. These occurrences are 100% preventable. It’s your responsibility to be a Safety Champion. Decide to “stand-up” and avoid all Slips, Trips, and Falls.
Following are six steps you can take for your safety and others:
1. Create good housekeeping. Safety and housekeeping go hand-in-hand, as a clean workplace is a safe workplace. Proper housekeeping should be a routine behavior and a daily activity at work, home, or play.
2. Avoid wet or slippery surfaces. The most frequently reported types of walking surfaces causing the most injuries are parking lots, sidewalks, bathrooms, and food preparation areas.
3. Avoid creating obstacles in walkways. Injuries can result from trips caused by obstacles, clutter, and equipment blocking walk paths.
4. Create and maintain proper lighting. Ensure lighting is adequate in all work areas like walkways, stairways, ramps, hallways, and basements.
5. Wear proper shoes. The shoes you wear can play a big part in preventing Slips, Trips, and Falls. Footwear should be slip resistant and not create a trip hazard such as heels.
6. Control individual behavior. If you are in a hurry, you are likely to be walking fast or even running which increases your risk for Slips, Trips, and Falls. Taking shortcuts, carrying objects that block vision, wearing dark glasses, and using a cell phone are all factors in accidents.
- 15% of all accidental deaths each year are due to Slips, Trips, and Falls.
- Nearly 25% of all reported injury claims annually are due to Slips, Trips, and Falls.
- More than 95 million lost work days annually due to Slips, Trips, and Falls.
- Falls are the third leading cause of unintentional deaths in the U.S.
- Almost 32,000 people died from Slips, Trips, and Falls in the home in 2014.
- Almost 600 people died on the job from Slips, Trips, and Falls in 2013.
- Over 45,000 people are injured annually in the workplace from Slips,
Trips, and Falls.
- Almost 25% of all claims reported in the workplace are due to Slips, Trips, and Falls.
- Over 15% of all disabling injuries in the workplace are the result of Slips, Trips, and Falls.
- Falls from the same level cost businesses nearly 8 billion dollars in 2013.
- Over 1 million Americans suffer from Slips, Trips, and Falls each year.
- 1 in 5 Slips, Trips, and Falls will result in a severe injury such as fractures and head injuries.
- 1 in 6 of all lost time injuries will be the result of a Slip, Trip, and Fall.
- Slips, Trips and Falls make up nearly 20% of all work related injuries.
- Slips, Trips, and Falls cost employers approximately $40,000 per incident.
At home, work or play, it’s Safety every day! Safety Always!